Saturday, July 12, 2014

Summer Backpacking Trip 2014

 
All of the boys and Todd went backpacking over the 4th of July weekend.  I was alone for 48 HOURS!  It was so quiet and heavenly!  (Can I say that?) 
 
 This is a backpacking trip that Todd went on each year when he was younger with his brothers and his Dad.  Eric, Brandon, and Dallin have been a couple of times, but because of Todd's "hip injury," they haven't been able to go the last several years, so this was Kyle and Jacob's first time.  Jacob likes this kind of thing...hiking, camping.  Kyle? Not so much!  He was seriously considering staying home and I was about to lose my 48 hours of solitude, so I came up with a plan.  First I threatened him and told him that he HAD to go.  (That didn't go over too well.)  Then I told him how much fun he would have.  This conversation went on for awhile with very little  success, by the way, so I made a deal with Kyle.  I told him I'd pay him $20 if he went and tried it this first time.  For real!  And that's all it took.  Yes, I bribed my son to go backpacking!  I'm not ashamed to admit it either!  It was the best $20 I ever spent!  :)
 
(Actually, Kyle tried to get $50 out of me at first, but that was not happening.  He settled with $20 and I was okay with that too.  Remember...48 HOURS!!) 
 
 
Here are some pictures of their adventure...
First of all, the backpacks are filled and ready to go!
 


 
Here they are on the trail, although I think this was taken on the way down...not the way up.
  Oh well, still fun (for me...and them)!
 



The scenery was beautiful!  They went to Twin Lakes, by the way.  It is about 1/2 hour past Kamas.
 


 

 
 
It looks like the hammock got used quite a bit...
 
Jacob
 

 
 
Kyle
 

 
 
Brandon and Jacob.  Do you see Kyle in the back trying to photo bomb the picture?  HA!  (We see you Kyle!)
 


I love this picture of Jacob.  He reminds me of Eric the way he is posing like that.  Maybe Jacob is going to be a drama kid too.  It wouldn't surprise me.  Eric stands like this a lot.  They both look like Peter Pan! 
 


 
And this is Dallin.  The hat he is wearing is one of Todd's old hats from high school.  At least, I remember it from high school.  I don't know if he had it earlier than that.  Dallin looks just like Todd did at that age, especially with that hat on.  Crazy flashback for me!
 


More scenery...
 





 
 
The Walls went backpacking too.  Here is Zach, Dallin, Jacob, and Aubrey.
 


Apparently the mosquitos were terrible!  See that "green-screen-thing" Dallin is wearing?  While it did protect the bugs from their faces, it didn't help with the rest of their bodies.  Poor Kyle ended up with 56 mosquito bites.  And he must be a little allergic because he swelled up pretty good on his legs and arms. (He earned that $20, don't you think?)  :) 
 


 
This is a hill where they all went "rock bowling."  It's a smooth cement strip that slopes downward.  Apparently this activity is an annual event.
 


 
On Saturday morning when they were packing up to leave, several goats wandered into their camp.  Todd was so excited and he took tons of pictures.  I think there were 4 or 5 adults and a couple baby goats.  Pretty cool, eh?
 



 
 They all survived the trip (barely).  I survived just fine!  :)  I hope this is an annual thing from here on out.  Just saying...(even if I have to pay for it)!
 
 
 I love you guys!  Now, let's plan next year!  HA!
 

No comments: