Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Orange Bucket

If you drive by my house, you will see an orange bucket next to our driveway. I'll bet some of you are wondering why it is there......here is MY side of the story.

A couple of years ago, my husband noticed suspicious tire tracks on the far end of our front lawn, next to our driveway and he inquired to me about such tracks. I, of course, had no idea how they were getting there. I told him it wasn't me.

My husband didn't like it. He kept asking me: Why don't we have grass there in that corner? Why do I see tire tracks? Are you sure your turning wide enough so that you don't run over the grass? We have very little grass there now.

"I don't know." I would respond. Surely, it couldn't be me. I am a very good driver.

So this brings me to the orange bucket. He started putting it out last winter, when he suspiciously noticed the lack of grass and tire tracks (where the grass should be). I guess this was to deter any unsuspecting driver who drove into our driveway from running over the non-existing grass spot, because if he did, he would inevitably HIT the bucket!

At first, I was a little annoyed. "I'm telling you, it's not me." (Of course, there are only 2 drivers in our household and since he swears it's not him, it MUST be me, right?) I even suggested that maybe it was my mom, who visits on occasion. However, that didn't always match up with the suspicious tire tracks. They didn't coincide and weren't always consistent. (Sorry, Mom.....I didn't want to take the whole blame). :)

After a while I got used to the orange bucket and learned to really turn wide when entering our driveway, so in a little while, the bucket got removed. YEA! See, I told you it wasn't me.
About a month ago, I noticed the orange bucket was back in our front yard. "What?" At this point it didn't bother me anymore. It was actually kind-of funny and it's sort-of a joke between us now. And of course, up til this time, I have still remained steadfast in my swearing that it's not me.

The other day, I was backing out of my driveway and all of the sudden, I hit something from behind! "What WAS that?" And when I examined the back tire, I realized that I had knocked down the bucket!!! OOPS! Which of course, landed me right in the middle of the "non-grassy" spot. Shoot!

In my defense, I still don't belive that I was running over the corner while I was entering the driveway. But it has come to my attention, that possibly I was running over it while EXITING the driveway. Darn it! I hate it when Todd is right! :)

So I've now accepted the fact that we have an orange bucket sitting on the corner of our front lawn. I have admitted my mistakes and tried to learn from them.

The other day, Todd said to me:

"If we had a cone, I would use that."

Thanks, honey! I think I'll stick to the orange bucket. A cone really would tip people off, don't you think? For now, they might just think we keep forgetting to bring it in.....

Unfortunately, that's not really the case....



Here is the orange bucket....

The suspicious tire tracks....


A little better view of the whole thing.....

6 comments:

Joanna said...

So dang funny! Just remember to plead the 5th!! :)

Kimberly said...

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Jana said...

You make me laugh!

Todd said...

Sweet vindication!

Diane said...

I can get you a cone! But then it might look like a crime scene!

Shauna said...

That's hilarious! I can totally see Mike putting an orange bucket by our driveway. :)